Payroll Title: Director, Medical Affairs
Functional Title: Chief Medical Officer
Department: Executive Administration
Reports To: CEO
Henry J. Carter is a 201-bed Long Term Care Hospital (LTACH) and 164-bed Skilled Nursing Facility dedicated to providing quality medical, sub-acute, respiratory, rehabilitative, complex wound care and long term specialty services. We are committed to serving New York City, providing services to individuals requiring ventilator weaning or management of other clinically complex conditions.
Under direction of the Chief Executive Officer or Senior Vice President, The Medical Director of this LTACH and long term care skilled nursing facility is responsible for planning, review, supervision and control of the medical and health services of the facility. The Medical Director formulates policies, methods and procedures, and prescribes standards for treatment, diagnosis, control and prevention of illness, as well as, supervising methods of delivery and evaluating patient care.
- Organizes and coordinates physician services and the services provided by other professionals as they relate to patient care and will oversee the quality of radiology, pharmacy, and lab services. Oversees the surveillance and promotion of employee health, safety, and welfare.
- Participates in administrative decision making and recommends and approves relevant policies and procedures and will be responsible for communicating issues and concerns to system clinical leadership when warranted.
- Will establish and implement policies, procedures, and guidelines designed to assure the provision of adequate, comprehensive services and will also monitor, evaluate, and improve performance of medical services through performance improvement program.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the knowledge of regulatory compliance based on, however not limited to the New York State Department of Health, Center of Medicare and Medicaid Services, and The Joint Commission that relate to patient care and related services.
- Will work with the organized medical staff and administration to ensure high value and high quality of care is delivered to patients with a focus on improving the patient experience, improving the health of the population, and maintaining fiscal responsibility and will be a part of the multi-departmental approach in improving the case mix index.
- Will work with system physician leadership on new programs and their integration into the post-acute care service line.
- Actively participates in the clinical marketing of LTACH and Nursing Facility services within NYC Health and Hospitals.
- Provides direct oversight of utilization management activities including Medicaid, Medicare and managed care appeals, medical necessity under various admission and continued stay criteria.
Graduation from an approved school of medicine and completion of an approved residency in a specialty and Board Certified and licensed to practice in New York State; and minimum of five (5) years experience in the field of specialty in a responsible medical and clinical administrative capacity.
Departmental Preference: LTC Medical Leadership Experience, Geriatric Board Certified, AMDA Certified Medical Director, Palliative Care Certification, Post-Acute EMR and Ventilator/weaning experienced.